Tuesday, January 31, 2012

He-Man vs. Yeti

The He-Man cartoon is notorious for not having yetis.

First, there were my posts on Grizzlor, then Stratos, then Gygor, then Clawful - not-to-mention Skeletor's right-hand-man Beast Man! (who I haven't even posted about - probably because I think he should change his name first. I mean, come on.) But none of them are yeti, of course. It's ETERNIA, for Grayskull's sake. Not Earth.

But there should be yeti! There's such a glaring lack of yeti that fans are making up their own fake, custom ones to imagine coexisting in that world:


Source: here and here

So I guess yeti's not a Master of that Universe. But here I am doing a themed week of Saturday morning cartoons, and what week would be complete without a post about HE-MAN!?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of He-Man. I never watched it. Couldn't stand it growing up. Every other kid on the block was ga-ga for the half-naked, sword-wielding hunk-man. To this day, I believe the only excuse for a pun-based name (He-Man's bread and butter) is if you are in a "daring, highly trained special mission force" (i.e. the military) and you use one as your code-name (G.I. Joe). Or if you're a Cybertronian, crash-landed on Earth, just trying to fit in the best way you know how (Transformers). Then you get a pass.

But! I know most of you love that hulkin' He-Pun. So let's give it the ol' Sword of Power try...



In the second season of the original 1983 He-Man cartoon (Episode #11 - The Ice Age Cometh), there was a villain named Icer.





I know what you're thinking: not all that yeti-ish. What, is it FRIDAY all of a sudden?

OK, fine. Let's see if I can do better...



In 1985's He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special, Skeletor and some children encounter a snow beast.



Not too bad...



Finally, in 2002, the new, fancy reboot He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon added a decent, bona fide yeti. Several episodes featured the Kulataks, and check them out:









One word: Legit.

And even though Kulatak is kind of a pun on "Cool Attack", I'm almost willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

No comments: