Friday, February 3, 2012

Not Yeti Friday - Ookla the Mok

I always say: "Where there are yetis, there are Not Yetis."

And the Saturday mornings of yesteryear are no exception.

I've already praised the virtues of the wonderful, delightful Igoo the Rock Ape from the Herculoids. Truly, there has never been a better rock ape.

And besides the He-man characters I mentioned earlier in the week, I've blogged about Appa from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Hibagon from The Secret Saturdays, and Gossamer from The Looney Tunes.

But I refuse and will continue to refuse to post about that possum-faced, bat-winged Scorpan from My Little Pony... No, you can't make me!

(Note that I am not even providing a link to anything about Scorpan - HA!)

But there is one fellow I would be remiss in not posting about (don't you dare suggest Scorpan!) and that would be ...

Ookla the Mok from Thundarr the Barbarian (1980-1982)



The guy already had me with a name like "Ookla the Mok". But let's see what else we can find out about him.... Oh hey, Wikipedia says:
Ookla is a member of the Mok species, a leonine humanoid with fangs and yellow eyes. As a Mok, Ookla has great strength, usually fighting by ripping up a nearby sapling or piece of wreckage to club his enemies. On a few occasions he is shown to use a longbow that fires a type of paralyzing arrow. However, he is also the most likely of the heroes to charge right into an enemy attack or to be enraged by unusual nuisances or threats. Moks dwell in their own territory, ruled by a king; they fear and hate water, preferring to face overwhelming odds in battle rather than wade through a stream to escape. Whereas Thundarr and Ariel ride horses for transport, Ookla's steed is another quadrupedal species called an equort.
That bit about the fighting with a tree sounds familiar (see here and here).



Seriously, anyone who regularly rides something called an equort gets major points in my book. Ookla is at like 561 points.



The guy is like a good friend too. He's courteous.



Robustious.



Wait, is that him double-punching two (possum-faced?) giant rat-beasties? The Mok don't just talk the talk, you know what I'm sayin'?



I am half-way convinced there is literally nothing that Ookla the Mok can do wrong.

Go on, convince me the remaining half. I triple-dog dare ya!

Ookla, if I wasn't already doing a blog extolling the virtues of a certain Not Ookla...

No comments: